Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Smallest Visitors


The Smallest Visitors

Small visitors are an art in themselves
they come into this space at full tilt,
hover on tiptoe, all eyes and eagerness,
a rapid consultation, point – that
way! – and away at a run
chittering like squirrels
and ignoring the good-natured
hushing of their teacher
as they animate the place with their pleasure.

            A quiet girl has branched off on her own
            to craft her answer to an assignment
            unawed by her chosen
            400-year old Byzantine icon.

Meanwhile the main tide flows
around where I sit, old man with a pen,
as if I am an exhibit not sufficient
to warrant their notice and I am reminded
of my own son years ago at eight or so
going up to a grim attendant at a National
Gallery somewhere and asking politely:
Excuse me, are you real?

Small visitors are an art in themselves
they animate the place with their pleasure.

-Barry Breen, May 2013

1 comment: